Monday, September 21, 2015

David's Last Day

Friday, August 7, 2015 was my last day as an intern at the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). I wore a full suit despite the humidity. I did not want to be caught under-dressed if I happened to run into President Obama on the White House tour. Back in the Ronald Reagan Building, I felt emotional as I said goodbye to friends and colleagues. At around 3 p.m. I began the exiting procedures and handed in my badge. The internship was especially significant to me as it was my first office-based work experience, my first employment out of college, and my first time living in a city.

I am in sincere appreciate of Olin College and MIT D-Lab’s International Development Innovation Network (IDIN) for supporting me during the summer. I owe my interest in product design and my participation in the International Development Design Summit to Olin. I owe the opportunity to intern at USAID to IDIN and the Higher Education Solutions Network team. I am eager to give back. Being a summer intern in D.C. is an experience which was life-changing for me. I would love to share my insights with anyone in the Three College family interested in working at USAID or in Washington, D.C. Please reach out to me at dhines2 at babson.edu. As I leave the comfort of the Babson-Olin-Wellesley campus for my post-bachelors career, I know that I am well-prepared to pursue a career related to product design and international development.


 Upper Left: One of my last days with the Ronald Reagan Building as my backdrop. Upper Right: I satiated my desire for gourmet pop-tarts and a milkshake from Ted's Bulletin on 14th Street. Middle Right: I spent my last evening in D.C. having a picnic on the National Mall. The hill of the Washington Monument facing the Lincolm Memorial is an excellent place to watch the sunset! Bottom: Another bucket list item was watching an outdoor movie. The Shaw neighborhood has an excellent movie venue.

No comments:

Post a Comment